Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Film at the Airport
From: chucko@siteconnect.com (Chuck Albertson)
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2000 12:39:54 -0700

Ernie,

If you're in the US, you have the right to a hand inspection of your film,
instead of putting it through the x-ray machine; overseas, you can ask for
it, but don't bet on getting it. You can put the film (in cans) into a
plastic bag to facilitate a hand check, or take them out of the cans first
to speed things along even further (as the inspector won't have to open each
can). I pack 16 rolls (out of the cans) into a square Tupperware container
and ask for them to hand inspect it. Politely. If you're bullet-headed about
it, they'll pull you out of line for a more leisurely check, and you'll miss
your flight.

That said, I haven't had any film ruined recently (past 10 years) by even
repeated passes through a scanner used for carry-on bags; even Delta 3200
has survived half a dozen trips through various machines without any
apparent damage. But don't ever put film, raw or exposed, in your checked
luggage---odds are good that it *will* get fried by the scanners used for
those bags.

Chuck Albertson
Seattle, Wash.