Subject: Re: Vs: [Leica] Leica R death
From: Larry Kopitnik <kopitnil@marketingcomm.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2000 20:06:23 -0500

That is not how I understood it, especially given their statement that new R
lenses would be coming out. It is pretty obvious that they are not happy with
the R8 from a financial standpoint, and they were fairly open about the fact
that they are looking at a new, smaller body.
<<<<<<<<<<

Really? They're considering a new, smaller R body? That is very good,
and very smart R system news.

I'd figured the R system was basically dead. Probably too much still
in inventory to publicly declare it so, but sales too meager to
economically justify further development. But if Leica has accepted,
despite its heros on this list, the R8 is a body the public at large
has basically rejected, and is working on its successor along with a
couple of new lenses (as mentioned in other posts), there is hope for
the system yet.

Just as Leica has found a successful niche being (until recently) the
last rangefinder system, I think they could find an equally
successful niche as the one of the last manual SLRs, given a body the
public accepts.

Larry