Subject: Re: [Leica] Moribund "R": A cloudy crystal ball ?
From: Larry Kopitnik <kopitnil@marketingcomm.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 14:10:26 -0500

I understand a small version of the 15mm (R). This will be well received.
The current offering is a great lens, but a real hand full.
<<<<<<<<<<

But I was surprised to read in Jem's excellent Photokina
transcriptions that, if I understand correctly, this new 15
replacement will not be a Leica-designed or made lens. The pertinent
quote:

"A topical example is the 15 Super Elmar-R which as you know
has been made by Zeiss for us, at Photokina it is not here as Zeiss has
recently stopped production. We will have a new lens to replace it, it will
not be a Leica lens but very comparable in quality, smaller, lighter and
faster. There is no point in designing and building at this point."

I wonder who did design and will make it? A rebadged Sigma, perhaps?

Larry