Subject: RE: [Leica] Summarit take apart?
From: "Lee, Jonathan" <Jonathan.Lee@hrcc.on.ca>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 16:19:19 -0400

Buzz wrote:

 I still remain baffled as to why one would
risk damaging a more or less expensive lens by taking it apart when there
are many fine people who are trained to do this for us at a relatively
modest cost (relative to the replacement of a lens).

- --------

Buzz,

Part of it is a wierd compulsion thing.  I change the oil and sparkplugs on
my cars, not because I save a lot of money, but because it's fun for me.
I've always loved to see how things are put together and if you are so
inclined, it's quite a pleasurable way to spend some time.  It beats the
hell out of watching tv.

The other thing is that if you can fix things, you can get Leica glass real
cheap if it is fogged or has fungus.  My 50 Summar which was fogged when I
bought in was esssentailly thrown in free with my IIIA.  About 1 hour later,
it was sparkling and I got a chance to relube it.  Feels NICE!  My 35
Summicron was fogged and $300.  Again about an hour later, it was crystal
clear.  Sure I could have sent it to reinhold Mueller and still made some
cash, but it was more fun this way.

I am not about to take a camera apart though!

Jonathan Lee