Subject: [Leica] Film at the Airport
From: Alastair Firkin <AlastairF@bhs.grampianshealth.org.au>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 08:28:44 +1100

I seemed to remember LUGgers talking about putting the film in a clear zip
lock bag
and asking for hand inspection?  does mean the film out of the plastic
cannisters or still in the cannisters?  Any thoughts would be helpful.  I'm
still undecided as to which camera to bring but that's a neurotic misery
that
only my family has to endure!!! :)
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
ernie,

One time I used the 120 trick of having very big pockets (Structure jeans)
and only plastic reels, by buying my film in bulk, and rolling it onto
re-usable cannisters. These plastic things pass straight through without
raising an eyebrow. The key is to make sure nothing else on you is going to
set off the alarm, so I virtually had to strip before going through
including my boots, which have metal studs on them, and have set off metal
detectors before. Must have been the only bloke going through in socks,
baggy cotton trousers and a singlet :-) Worked well, but since then, I've
just put all my film into a plastic bag, keeping the cannisters separate and
handed it to the security. This works 95% of the time, and you just have to
cop it at Heathrow.

Cheers

Alastair