Subject: Re: Vs: [Leica] Leica R death
From: Rick Dykstra <rdandcb@cybermac.com.au>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 18:11:47 +1000

I just don't understand these concerns about the R8 being too big.

To me it's just fine, and I'm only a little fella.
My hands measure 189mm from first wrist crease to tip of middle finger, with
a span of 200mm (someone's bound to recommend I get my DNA checked!). Your
hands?

Reflex lenses are bulky.  A little body like an R6.2 gets lost behind most
of them.  Not enough to hang on to.  An R8 is a good size handle for those
reflex lenses.

I don't know how R8 sales compare with R7 or previous bodies (be interested
to know), but perhaps the (reputed) slow sales result from its being a niche
product for a niche sector of the pro/serious amateur 35mm market.  If
someone in Solms thought the R8 was going to compete with Nikon and Canon
for sales volume, then they need to get their DNA checked!

Regards

Rick (my helicals are a bit twisted today) Dykstra