Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: photo technique = image quality?
From: Ted <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 05:25:28 -0700

Martin Howard wrote:

> articles,
> on the Zone System, both by The Man himself and others, I've concluded that
> for my style of photography, the correct adaptation of the Zone System is a
> simple two-step program:
>
>   1)  Give the negative plenty of exposure.
>
>   2)  Fix problems in the darkroom.
>
> I don't have the time or the patience to fiddle around with anything more
> complicated than taking an incident metering of the light.  After that, I'm
> much more interested in what goes on infront of my lens and when to press
> the shutter release.<<<<<<<<<<<<

Hi Martin,

We have to keep in mind the folks who use the zone system are irrefutably
locked into it and what it does, which is their right.  And I must say they do
seem to use it rather well.

Although myself, I've never been able to fathom it in these many years and like
you, I'm a quick meter set camera kind of photographer who then gets at the
subjects flying  past the front of my lens.

I usually explain, the only kind of zone system I under stand is the
de-militarized zone and ..... "don't go near it! " ;-)

I belive it's Jim Brick who has the best all time description of a zone system.
Unfortunately I can't re-post it from files as we've a bit of a "damn computer
crash" and now I'm on a new computer system that look's like I'm on a "very
long learning curve!"

If Jim gets a read on this he might be so good as to re-post his very own....
Zone System! :-)

Ted
Victira BC Canada
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant