Subject: [Leica] What we shoot (was: TWO AMAZING PHOTOS)
From: Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 08:50:11 -0700

And to address B. D.'s other question:

>> makes me wonder what people use all their
>> expensive Leica equipment for.....;-)

On Saturday I covered the arrival in Ottawa of the body of Canada's greatest
Prime Minister since Sir John A. Macdonald - Pierre Elliott Trudeau.

My chosen gear to record this historic event included a pair of M6's (a .72
and a .85), a 24 ASPH, a 35 Summilux-ASPH, a 50 Summicron and a 90 APO - the
cameras on my shoulders and the spare lenses and film (Provia 100F)
distributed through a Domke photo vest (bags are a hassle in crowds, and
this was a day when it didn't matter if you looked like a geek photographer
- - all the news dogs looked much worse than me).

The arrival of the casket was scheduled for 10:00 a.m., so I arrived at
8:30.

The Centennial Flame on Parliament Hill was turned into an impromptu shrine
by the citizens - people dropped off red roses (Trudeau's signature lapel
flower), notes of memory and thanks, and - most touching to me - small maple
branches with the leaves just turning colour.  I started shooting there, in
the still of the morning.  There were just a few people around, quietly
reading the cards and notes, lost in their own thoughts.

At about 9:00 I went up to the front of the Center Block of Parliament, to
the main entrance.  Barriers had been set up, and I found a position at the
fence, just to one side of the main doors in order to get a slight angle on
the proceedings.  I chose the side that would leave me looking at the back
of the hearse rather than the front.  Then I waited.

The crowd built gradually in the bright autumn sun.  We were a quiet but
friendly bunch, sharing our thoughts on Canada and what we had become under
Mr. Trudeau's leadership.  I threw on the 24 and shot pictures of people
standing near me, many of them carrying single red roses.  Dignitaries and
politicians arrived, and for the first time I regretted not having a 135 for
my Leicas.  I'd left the F3/180 at home, which overall was a good decision,
but some of those politicians look like very small people in my pictures :-)

At 10:00 the cortege arrived, flanked by Mounties on iron horses (Harleys).
The pall-bearers (all Mounties in dress uniform) took position and the
casket was drawn from the hearse.  By now I'd switched to the 35 and the 90,
and was shooting furiously.  The 35 set the whole scene very well - the
hearse, the outriders, the pall-bearers, the casket draped with the Canadian
flag, the assembled family, friends and dignitaries, the weathered limestone
facade of Center Block - quite the tableau.  The 90 gave a perfect frame of
the pall-bearers, the coffin and the hearse.

The Mounties lifted the casket to their shoulders, and the image was
complete - the only colour in the shot the scarlet of their tunics and the
scarlet flag over the coffin.  The hearse gleaming black in the autumn sun,
the limestone a neutral cream backdrop.  The Mounties carried him slowly up
the stairs, followed by his grieving ex-wife and his two remaining sons.  At
the top of the stairs they carried him through the black-draped limestone
archway into Parliament.  As the last flash of red from the flag was
swallowed by that arch, Mr. Trudeau passed from our present into our
history.

I shot everything I could think of - the ceremony, people in the crowd,
dignitaries, the flowers people brought in memoriam, the reporters.  It
wasn't like covering a riot, and I regretfully admit that my Leicas were not
in physical peril at any time, but it was a worthy subject to be recorded by
such a worthy camera.  And as soon as I have some scans I'm happy with, I'll
let you all take a peek.

Paul

Replies: Reply from Ted <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] What we shoot (was: TWO AMAZING PHOTOS))