Subject: R8 (was: Re: [Leica] Leica R death)
From: telyt560@cswebmail.com
Date: 3 Oct 2000 09:51:09 -0700

On Tue, 03 October 2000, "Jason Hall" wrote:

<SNIP>
> my favourite body bar none is the SL, no lightweight but it
> seems to give a perfect balance with Leica glass, my R4 (same size as
> 6.2) always feels a little awkward compared to the SL, Ive never
> really been comfortable with it.  Small lightweight bodies may be ok
> with small lightweight lenses but for R glass you need something
> substantial to hold onto.  I have small hands too.
>
> Not that I can afford or need an R8 but Im just not sure about the
> look of the thing and when I handled one in a shop it felt very
> plasticy compared to the SL, but then most things do.  I guess Im
> fortunate I dont need a modern camera.
>
> Jason Hall

Jason,

I agree with you re: the SL and R4, but having used an R8 for a day (thanks to Leica rep Tom Brichta) alongside my SL it is my (not very) humble opinion that the handling of the R8 in manual mode is at least the equal of the SL - but then, I have large hands.  Yep, the first impression is that it's not as robust as the SL, but then what is?  After using it for a few hours it's hard to distingush between hand and machine - neural impulses are instantly and effortlessly transferred to the picture-taking tool.  And there is something to be said for the low thermal conductivity of non-metalic gripping surfaces when the thermometer drops below freezing!

Despite my impression of the R8, the SL is still my favorite SLR but if I needed any of the R8's many added features I'd happily use it along with my SL.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
Visit the Northwestern Alumni Association portal
page at http://www.nualumni.com  to get free
web-based e-mail and many other exciting features.