Subject: [Leica] Visiting Sydney with Leica
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@netconnect.com.au>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 09:59:52 +1100

Terence and Patricia wrote:

> We'll try to get to the Taronga Park Zoo, the Blue Mountains and endeavour
> to have seafood at Jordans 'cos our national pastime is eating :-)

G'day,

I keep meaning to get around to saying this so here goes. My all time
favourite day in Sydney involves catching the bus to Watson's bay along old
New South Head Road. The trip is spectacular, with views over Sydney
harbour all the way. If you see something you must "have", you jump off.
After incident light readings, consulting Zone systems, etc etc you can
make your shot, and still have time to wait for the next bus ;-)

Now the reason I have not posted this gem earlier, is that I cannot
remember the number of the bus. 365 or 302 ring bells. I used the 365 every
day when I lived there in the mid 60's, and last I was there it is still
running, but I cannot remember if it was the one that went out to Watson's
bay (where I learn't to swim --- badly)

Once at Watson's bay, you can wander around the headlands, and the typical
sydney suburbs of the Eastern variety -- a treat in themselves I assure
you. Then you have Lunch at the "original" Doyles Seafood eatery, and then
after a few glasses of wine, board the water taxi for a return journey to
the Opera House/Circular Quay area.

The water taxi will take you past the beautiful bays and points that make
up the Eastern Suburbs. This is a perfect day, and although beautiful, the
Taronga Zoo may seem too much like the Singapore one ;-) Of course if you
were with children the zoo would win, but the above is far more romantic ;-)

I would also advise a days walk around the foreshore and botanical gardens,
ending at the Art Gallery of NSW.

Kevin, could perhaps check the bus numbers. They all start around the Town
Hall area and head East through Kings Cross etc

Cheers

Alastair Firkin

Replies: Reply from "Ross McLeish" <loksi@dingoblue.net.au> (Re: [Leica] Visiting Sydney with Leica)