Subject: Re: [Leica] Visiting Sydney with Leica (off-topic and long)
From: Kevin Leong <kevinl@ind.tansu.com.au>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 13:21:21 +1100

Ross McLeish wrote:

> Hard to find? Where on earth have you been looking.....K-Mart?

Ross,
On a world scale, I would definately consider Leicas as a rarity in Sydney: a
handful of official dealers keeping minimal stock from a somewhat erratic
distributor is not exactly my idea of Leica wonderland. I wouldn't say that
there is a thriving second-hand market here either, compared to the US or
Europe although I concede that Melbourne seems well ahead of Sydney on this
one.

> Balderdash! Where on earth do you eat, Kevin?  MacDonalds perhaps?  The
> quality of food, and the quality of restaurants in Sydney, is second to
> none.

Whilst I am as proud of the Sydney food scene as anyone else, I'm not blindly
loyal to it: originally from Malaysia, I am always keenly aware that the Sydney
scene lacks the maturity found in Malaysia and Singapore, maturity that results
from generations of culinary integration. The very best here is definately
world class but I think that it's only been in the last few years that the
average person has only been able to distinguish between, say, good and average
Thai. Having said all this, I do think that Sydney is maturing at an amazing
rate.

Although I haven't been to all the restaurants you recommend, I do find some of
your suggestions odd: for one, I would be hesitant to recommend Asian food to
an Asian, not to mention recommending Singaporean or Malaysian food to a
Singaporean (ignoring, of course, the sheer stupidity of Singaporeans coming to
Sydney to eat Singaporean food).

> >There's far too much to say about food in Sydney <
> Correct. I've just said most of it.

I can say much more but I think this will suffice: I have tried to evaluate
Sydney food as I think a Singaporean may see it and this is based on first-hand
knowledge of both Sydney and Singapore. I haven't posted a long list as I don't
know what Terence may like, how much he is willing to spend or how far he may
wish to travel. I recognise that there is a great deal of subjectivity in
preferences but I have not strayed from my field of 'expertise' - I suggest
that you do the same.

P.S. I apologise if I'm being patronising but hopefully, this posting is less
so than yours.

- --
    Kevin Leong
    Telstra Future e-Development
    Phone: +61-2-9206-3474  Fax: +61-2-9281-1301
    TFN: 3453-7577-2424

Message from Kevin Leong <kevinl@ind.tansu.com.au> (Re: [Leica] Visiting Sydney with Leica)
Message from "Ross McLeish" <loksi@dingoblue.net.au> (Re: [Leica] Visiting Sydney with Leica (off-topic and long))