Subject: [Leica] Leica R alive and well (was Leica R death)
From: "Anderson, Ferrel E" <AndersonF@ria.army.mil>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 15:01:59 -0500

I have been in the R system since 1966 when I bought a Leicaflex (Standard/Mark
1) with the 50 Summicron-R  and the 90 Elmarit-R lenses.  I have since added
another Leicaflex; SL, RE and R6 cameras; and several lenses.  To the comment
that it would be nice if Leica would introduce an R camera the size and build
quality of the M6, I say that the R4, R5, and RE cameras are about as small as
an SLR can get, and that the build quality and feel of the original Leicaflex
models are equivalent to the m cameras.  It is certainly the best Leica SLR
ergonomically.  The R cameras are wonderful cameras, and  offer all the features
that I want.  The R8 is the ultimate evolutionary conclusion to the Leica SLR
philosophy, and is wonderful to use except for its large size.  The R8 finder is
the best I have looked through.

The R lens line is essentially complete, so I did not expect much from Leica at
Photokina - but I expected something.  I think we will see a 90 mm APO Aspheric
Summicron, and perhaps some aspheric wide angle upgrades - especially in the 24
and 35 mm focal lengths.  I also expect, and desire, a zoom lens in the 35 to
90mm focal length range, and a  R9 that improves on the handling (i.e., size) of
the R8.  Make the size and handling like that of the original Leicaflex and the
features and position of the controls like that of the R8, and Leica will have a
winner.

Leica will always be a niche camera if they continue to deliver the best and
most expensive lenses and bodies.  But the niche is there, and if they don't
trip themselves, they can stay in business.

Ferrel Anderson