Subject: [Leica] 28mm Elmarit-R versions
From: "Anderson, Ferrel E" <AndersonF@ria.army.mil>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 16:52:09 -0600

Javier:

There have been two versions that have unique optical computations.  The current
version has floating elements to provide better field flatness at close
distances.  The first version has 8 air spaced elements, but there at least two
versions that differ on coating of the front element.  One has a reddish orange
coating and the other has a blue coating.  I Don't which is the earlier version,
but a difference in lens coating usully indicates a difference in optical
design.  On the other hand, Leica literature shows no difference in the
schematics of the optical design in their sales literature.  Perhaps the only
diference is in the coating.  One would expect the later coating to be superior.

I have the first version with the reddish coating, and it produces the most
brilliant pictures of all the Leica R lenses I own, which is a goodly number.
It is a superb lens in all other respects except for the curved field at close
distances, which is not a disadvantage for me.  An advantage is the removable
lens hood, which is rectangular, and probably provides better shielding than the
circular, extendable hood of the current version.  It takes series seven filters
held in by the lens hood or E48 screw-in filters.

I highly recommend the first version (s?).  I hear that the current version is
also superb with better close focusing performance.  Can't go wrong with either
one.

Ferrel Anderson

Replies: Reply from Axel Schwieker <axel@baer.rwth-aachen.de> (Re: [Leica] 28mm Elmarit-R versions)