Subject: [Leica] Long Leica lenses for 'way less than APO Telyt Modul bucks
From: "gbicket" <gbicket@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 20:01:02 -0400

Hey, Tina.

About a year ago, I began hunting the Leica Telyt f5.6 400-560 Telyt
combination.  I much prefer the conventional twist-to-focus, versus the
Leica Novoflex squeeze-to-focus version, and while many of the later Telyts
can be found in the f6.8 version, I thought if I'd hunt, I could find the
faster version, and give myself a little extra speed wide open.

Well, I found a set, and I am really enjoying using it.  It is big, and
unwieldy, but it is Leica glass, not too slow, and quite sharp.  The "close"
end houses the aperture unit, and the front ends are different, one 400mm,
and the other, bigger one, the 560mm.  In that regard, the new, Leica Telyt
Modul lenses set up the same, but as you know, their prices are beyond
reason.  For me, this is a tripod lens, or gunstock [if you are interested
in the squeeze-to-focus, "follow-focus" version, these often come with a
gunstock] mounted lens.  Beanbags help, too.  Some LUGgers use them
handheld.  But what "PULL"!  I can settle in to take wildlife photos
unnoticed.  They will be a handful on your trip [a Pelican case would be
good] but if you are doing wildlife, and some of those long landscapes, you
will be glad you took the leap.  They are a great way to get into Leica long
telephoto lenses at less than astronomical prices.

Dollars?  A single lens in the slower version can be had pretty readily for
$700-900, with the two head set about double that.  I gave about $1,800 for
the f 5.6 400-560mm combo version, but I paid a little more, as it is in
immaculate shape.  It looked as if it had never been used.  I looked high
and low, and found it at KEH in Atlanta.  When I was on the phone with them,
I asked them to pull it and describe it to me, and to check the glass, as
these lens elements can separate.  They did, and their rating of its
condition was conservative.  It arrived quickly, and I have enjoyed using it
often on my R8 since.

I have since seen them listed by Tamarkin, and Jim Brick tracked a 400mm
down at Keeble and Shuchat [sp].  So they are around, and while don't
provide the all-the-way-to-the-edge flatness of field you will find in the
APO Telyt Modul series, good examples can be found at 10% of the new
version's price.  Doug Herr is a master using these lenses and can give you
more advice on them.

Hope this helps.  Enjoy the light, and your trip to Kenya.  Someday I would
like to go on a photo safari to Africa, and the old Telyts will be the
anchor lenses on that trip!

Greg Bicket