Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Kenya
From: telyt560@cswebmail.com
Date: 5 Oct 2000 07:18:58 -0700

On Thu, 05 October 2000, Martin Howard wrote:

> Bill Lawlor jotted down the following:
>
> > Local experts said a man taking photos appears to the elephant to be a
> > challenging and agressive person.
>
> Guess Susan Sontag was right, after all.
>
> M.

A predator stares at its intended victim, calculating the right time to strike.  Many photographers are so intent on getting the picture that they also stare at their intended target.  I find it more helpful to act like a prey species, i.e., constantly checking the area for suspicious noises and movements, occasionally raising the camera to the subject or toward random targets so my intended subject is less likely to feel "targeted".  IMHO this is one of the big advantages of a hand-held camera for wildlife photography.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
Visit the Northwestern Alumni Association portal
page at http://www.nualumni.com  to get free
web-based e-mail and many other exciting features.