Subject: Re: [Leica] Kenya and loooong lens: Another option
From: telyt560@cswebmail.com
Date: 5 Oct 2000 09:06:38 -0700

On Thu, 05 October 2000, "David Freedman" wrote:

> I'm surprised that no one has suggested the
> incredibly-wonderful-yet-inexplicably-unloved 350/4.8 Telyt.  I shlepped
> mine to Africa on one of my 8 or 9 trips there and it acqutted itself
> admirably.  It will never unseat my Nikon 400/2.8 AF-S as wildlife optic of
> choice but, for the occasional wildlife photog, it's got a lot going for it:
> razor sharp, reasonable max f/stop, auto-diaphragm, relatively inexpensive
> (in Leica terms), useful for a whole lot more than just wildlife (or sports)
> and (this is the part I like best!) has a wonderfully "packable" form
> factor.

Dave,

No question, the 350 is an excellent lens.  As for being inexpensive ... I've generally seen 'em offered at twice the cost of the 400 f/6.8, and as a wildlife lens it has some limitations.  I suspect there's been little mention of it because it's quite scarce.

I have a friend (the phantom Gary Hanlon I sometimes mention as my source of free Leica-R gear) who has used both for wildlife photography.  He started with the 400, sold it to buy the 350 for it's advantages that you've pointed out, then sold the 350 to buy the 400 back 'cuz the 350's handling isn't nearly as quick as the 400.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
Visit the Northwestern Alumni Association portal
page at http://www.nualumni.com  to get free
web-based e-mail and many other exciting features.