Subject: Re: Is EBL a construct? Was: Re: [Leica] M6 TTL .58 accurate witha Noctilux?
From: Dennis Painter <dpainter@bigfoot.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 21:21:49 -0700

Dante,

I think Erwin has also made some comments, but:

1) Yes, IMO, if we compare apples to apples. By apples to apples I mean
if you don't have a line to allow the vernier capability of the M finder
to be used. The eye can discern alignment of a line far better than two
superimposed images, but not all objects we focus on have lines we can
use. (given the same eyesight of course!)

2) EBL is does not take into account limits or averages of the human
eye's resolving power.  I prefer Erwin to speak for himself but I think
when he computed the EBL of the .58 and the Noctilux he used pretty poor
'eyesight' to come up with his conclusion.

Given 2 different bodies with the same EBL and differing magnifications
I think the one you find easiest to focus is the winner. If you have to
fuss a lot to focus one you will miss photos. I don't mean to sound
flipant or obvious here but I think ease of focus is more important than
other factors, all other focus releated things equal. (that the finders
are actually focusing where you think!)

I hope this is helpful,

Dennis

Message from Dennis Painter <dpainter@bigfoot.com> (Re: Is EBL a construct? Was: Re: [Leica] M6 TTL .58 accurate with a Noctilux?)