Subject: Re: Is EBL a construct? Was: Re: [Leica] M6 TTL .58 accurate witha Noctilux?
From: Dante A Stella <dante@umich.edu>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 19:33:12 -0400

I will rephrase these questions into a format that is more pointed.  And yes, I will see
if I can locate a copy of Osterloh's book, although I am not sure it will answer any of
these questions.  Mr. Small may be able to shed some light on this, especially the
development of the III vs the M3 and Zeiss's theories...

Question 1.  At more than 100% mag - is a III really as accurate as an M3 or M6 0.85
solely by virtue of the EBL?

Question 2.   At less than 100% mag - are the minimum EBLs needed, as computed today,
computed using (a) the limit of human resolving power or (b) the average human resolving
power?

This is relevant to me because we are often faced with two bodies presenting the same EBL
- - one long actual base (and low mag) and one moderate with higher magnification).  If the
determinant is the best human sight, it would seem more sensical to go for the lower
actual BL, higher mag, equal EBL model.

Cheers
Dante

Replies: Reply from Dennis Painter <dpainter@bigfoot.com> (Re: Is EBL a construct? Was: Re: [Leica] M6 TTL .58 accurate witha Noctilux?)