Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: R8 replacement - Leica going digital
From: "Jem Kime" <jem.kime@cwcom.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2000 17:54:03 +0100

Ted,
Thanks for reminding us of why this gear exists in the first place.
I'v been doing a bit of picture making recently and had the opportunity last
night to print up some pictures (with those old fashioned smelly chemicals!)
using the new Oriental varicontrast FB paper and the Heiland split grade
module for the V35.

First thoughts are, Wow! what a paper, rich deep lustrous blacks, a
fantastic warmth compared to the Ilford MGRC I had to bash out alongside it,
and so I'm waiting on availability and prices here in the UK.

Secondly, although the demo at photokina was marvellous with the Splitgrade
module, I have to admit to disappointment and recognise that there's no such
thing as an instant 'out of the box' miracle answer to substandard
negatives. After a little while of playing with adjustments to both exposure
and grade, and learning where best to place the light probe, I concluded
that it would take rather more than an evening to set this up to work
comprehensively.

Jem