Subject: Re: [Leica] Steady as she goes there, lad [y]
From: "Alan Hull" <hull@telia.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 09:25:08 +0200

I believe the study (model) is basically correct.  It is impossible,
using reactions alone, to determine exactly where a fast ball will be
when it arrives at the batsmans position.  The batsman does not use
reaction alone.  He uses the same technique that smart cameras use to
judge exposure.  The scene is compared to a built in memory bank matrix
for an an exact match

The batsman, by practicing constantly, can pre-judge the eventual
position of the ball from previous experience.  Conditioned reflex.
This is why sports like baseball and cricket have very strict rules
regarding the weight and size of the ball and its method of delivery
and from which position.  Its to give the batsman half a chance to
build up an exact match dictionary.

Any bowler playing cricket knows the fun to be had by substituting a
tennis ball half way through an over.

Back to photography  Handholding a camera degrades the equipment
performance.  Apart from certain Eastern disciplines to control
internal body action, I can't see that practise will improve the
situation to any significant degree.  IMHO. IMHO.  IMHO.

Alan

Replies: Reply from "Roger Beamon" <roger@beamon.org> ([Leica] RE: Steady as she goes there, lad [y])