Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Rollei QZ35
From: Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 09:58:07 -0400

If lens quality is the first concern,
which point & shoot will be your best
choice? Robert

	--> The following are worth examining further,
	depending on budget:

	Yashica T4 / T5  (with Carl Zeiss Tessar,
		sold > 10 million units, a reference for value,
		discontinued earlier this year, surely still
		available in many places. Inexpensive)
	Ricoh GR21 ( pocketable, high quality lens, deluxe "toy")
	Nikon (one model uses ED glass lens design, even the
		lesser ones are very easy to use with wide-angle
		lens and beautiful extra large viewfinder,
		the weak spot of the lower
		priced Leicas IMO...) Great kid's camera.
	Contax TVS (and variants) -- Sonnar lens ... All titanium.
	Leica models like the Minilux are probably still available
		but they sure have smallish viewfinders ...
	Konica (some specific models: Hexar is a "classic" beauty,
		Z-Up 120VP gets me for its industrial design)
	Samsung (+ Rollei equivalents) are well-made and
		affordable
	Minolta used to make an "all weather" 35mm P&S that could
		be submerged, Weathermatic I think.
		Good if you ski or if you live on the beach. Flashy
		yellow design, though. Floatable ?
	Many other brands are available but these I know
	and would buy with confidence, depending on true needs.

	I expect a new Leica model to surface this Autumn
	that could well be the answer to your hopes, but it's
	vaporware till it hits the shelves in test markets.

	A well chosen digital camera could well meet your needs
	and they sure can make friends with younger users.
	Canon S20 is small but capable. Models with integrated
	3.5" diskettes impress me for their useability factor,
	Sony mostly. I hope they resolve their identity crisis,
	v.g. made to look and handle like a camera VS still TV
	cameras ...

	Enjoy !

	A J Q