Subject: Re: [Leica] need something small, and tough
From: Nathan Wajsman <belgiangator@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 08:06:58 -0700 (PDT)

Bruce,
It strikes me that you have two separate needs here:

1) A camera that is rugged and/or cheap for your
camping/fishing activities.
2) A camera that is small so that you can take it
along on business trips.

I would suggest that for item (1) above you should use
your M6. It is not cheap, but it IS rugged and it is
meant to be used. You did buy it to take pictures, I
assume. If you are concerned about water damage, then
perhaps an Olympus Mju2 (Stylus Epic in the USA, I
think) would fit the bill, but you will not have any
manual control.

For your business travel needs, the same Olympus will
also fit the bill, or my favorite, the Ricoh GR1. Both
of them are really tiny and have excellent optics for
this class of camera. The Ricoh is more expensive but
it gives you much more manual control than the
Olympus. I always have one in my briefcase. Tonight I
am taking some clients out for dinner. Even an M6
would not be appropriate, but the GR1 will fit in my
jacket pocket without the slightest bulge.

I think that neither the G2 nor the Minilux will fit
your requirements. They are not cheap, they are much
more fragile than the M6, and the Minilux has terrible
ergonomics, nice as it is. A "beater" M2 or M4 may be
good for the camping and fishing but it is big as an
M6 and so will not solve your space problem on
business trips.

Nathan

- --- bruce5@attglobal.net wrote: > Folks,