Subject: Re: [Leica] Snapshots and tripods
From: telyt560@cswebmail.com
Date: 10 Oct 2000 08:38:10 -0700

I'm enjoying all the perspectives and opinions in this thread: Ted and Walt, Gary (Tree LUGger), Mike J., Jim Brick ... though little has been written that hasn't crossed through cyberspace before.

IMHO the Leica is the epitome of a hand-held camera, but using a tripod certainly isn't verboten.  I've been trying to balance the desire for spontaneous photos of wildlife against the desire for sharp photos; often the desires conflict and are mutually exclusive.  I've used a tripod when nessesary (like, when shutter speeds get in the 1/4 sec range) but more often I'll opt for the spontaneous over seeing the dirt under an ant's toenails, using a shoulder stock with long lenses to improve image quality.  This will typically get me to shutter speeds as slow as 1/60 sec with good results.

Yesterday I tried using a monopod along with the shoulder stock to try for slower usable shutter speeds.  The effect in the viewfinder is certainly noticable; I haven't yet seen what the effect is on film.

My observations:

1) In dense brush the monopod is MUCH easier to use than a tripod

2) the monopod by itself isn't as good as the shoulder stock by itself

3) with larger mammals the loss of sponteneity is negligible

4) I gotta have a quick-release thingie between the monopod and camera, for when I need maximum mobility.

The setup I used:

) Leicaflex SL

) 250 mm Telyt-R

) old-model shoulder stock with flat bar instead of handgrip.  This has a tripod socket in the flat bar.

) an old monopod with a tilt head I bought at an REI closeout sale several years ago for $10

) an RRS QR plate and tripod adapter given to me by Gary Hanlon.  What would I do without Gary's reject photo gear?!?

The RRS plate goes on the shoulder stock, and the tripod adapter goes on the monopod.  The rig has felt most stable when I extend the monopod to full length and place the 'pod's foot a couple feet ahead of me.  Not only does this increase stability, it also keeps the 'pod's foot away from mine so I don't trip over it.

As I've only started using this setup I can't say how well it all works but it seems promising.  Under similar circumstances the tripod has been impossible.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
Visit the Northwestern Alumni Association portal
page at http://www.nualumni.com  to get free
web-based e-mail and many other exciting features.