Subject: RE: [Leica] Kenya and loooong lens: Another option
From: telyt560@cswebmail.com
Date: 6 Oct 2000 07:37:20 -0700

On Fri, 06 October 2000, George Lottermoser wrote:

> Just out of curiosity - Is there any particular reason that a 250
> f:4 with 2x never came up as an economic possibility?
>
> George

Ya got me there - I didn't think of it 'cuz I don't have a 2x and just wasn't thinking in those terms...

OTOH a 250 with 2x gives a 500 f/8 - and given all those bits of glass absorbing light, it's significantly slower than a 400 f/6.8.  Also, an early 250 (the "affordable" one, costs almost as much as a 400) doesn't have a rotating tripod socket, so vertical compositions are a bit more of a hassle.  The late 250 is better in that regard, having a rotating tripod collar, and it's designed for the shoulder stock, but it's still f/8, slower to focus, and costs more than the 400 f/6.8

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
Visit the Northwestern Alumni Association portal
page at http://www.nualumni.com  to get free
web-based e-mail and many other exciting features.