Subject: [Leica] Rollei QZ35
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@netconnect.com.au>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 10:18:12 +1100

I intend to buy a high quality point & shoot camera with zoom capability
when I am traveling.  I am considering Rollei QZ35 and Leica Minilux Zoom.
QZ35's advantage is it has a f2.4 aperture and wider zoom range (38-90), and
Minilux's advantage is it's much light weight and Leica's lens.  Where can I
find the dialogue you guys discussed this topic before?  If not, can anyone
give me comment?

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Robert,

I have a Rollei QZ35T, and a Z2X, so I cannot make the direct comparison
with the Minilux zoom. I have of course "handled" the Minilux, and have
advised friends to buy it. For me, the Rollei was an act of love as well as
a desire to have a great P&S compact, so when it fell "dramatically" in
price, I took the plunge. It is a fine camera. It is NOT light, and is the
same size (give or take a bit) of the M series cameras. Beautifully made,
stylish, and quite functional (though the manual focus is a bit of a
"trial"), it produces images of superb quality, contrast and colour BUT:
1. it is now a 5 year old design
2. Rollei are "flogging" them off at a much cheaper price than originally,
and "may" not see a long term future in the "breed". Afterall, they have
not altered the design or function in all the time its has been on the
market
3. as an electronic camera, I suspect it does have a limited life expectancy
4. if you want to use flash, you have to use the large handle-bar flash
gun, which has a "unique" plug. In my experience, flashes are the least
long lived part of the camera world, and when they go, the spare parts have
also "gone". Will Rollei support/repair/replace a dead flash, or make
another one for this camera -- I doubt it, and you cannot use other flashes
with the camera. Although, I do not like "on-board" flash, it is handy for
a "snap" camera, and the QZ does not have one. It does not have as many
creative options with flash as the minilux
5. the lens cap/remote, is in reality a pain in the "arse". It is "bulky",
and catches easily on camera bag edges etc, and is therefore prone to
falling off. You really do have to "wire" it to the camera to save it from
accidents. Cute yes, practical NO.
6. you cannot attach filters such as a polarizer

For me the Minilux may be the better choice. Leica are contantly refining
the minilux lineup. It has a superb lens, and is smaller than the QZ -- for
me the QZ is a better choice for someone who wants a "primary" camera, and
the Minilux for those who want a "secondary" point and shoot camera. I
suspect that Rollei could not quite make up their minds with the QZ and
never really decided on a target market. Like so many of their products,
they just kept improving it till it was really too much camera for a P&S
and not really versitile enough for a primary image making machine. Oh but
I do love mine, and love using it. It "role" in my hands is a bit
uncertain, and it acts as my P&S for the moment.

cheers

Alastair Firkin

Replies: Reply from "Ross McLeish" <loksi@dingoblue.net.au> (Re: [Leica] Rollei QZ35 filters (off topic))