Subject: [Leica] Re: Erwin, photographic technique
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 16:10:09 -0700

Tina - you responded to Mark, and since I do a lot of landscapes with the
Leicas, here's a couple of quick responses from my perspective:

1) Over the last 30 years I have collected a range of lenses that would cost
me tens of thousands of dollars to duplicate in medium or large format
equipment. So I have used the Leicas because they are there.

2) Some of the best landscapes are taken in those brief moments when fog is
lifting, the storm is descending, or times in general when every few seconds
you have an almost completely different look ( at least that's how light
often happens here on the Redwood Coast of California). With the Leica, I
can fire away as the light rapidly changes, both more quickly and less
expensively than an equal amount of pictures with a large format camera.
With the large format, I have waited for the light to get "just a little
better",  when all it did was get worse. With the Leica, I would have shot a
couple of "insurance" shots while waiting and still perhaps have come home
with a worthwhile photo.

3)  The same amount of large format gear would take a pack mule to haul what
I can carry alone over long distances with Leica.

4)  I can enlarge landscapes beautifully with my trusty Leitz Focomat 1c.

5) I can put together beautiful slide programs without the hassle and
expense of duplicating.

6) When the great decisive moment happens while I'm out photographing the
landscape, I can switch to  photojournalistic mode with the flip of a tripod
quick-release!

Regards,
Gary
Tree LUGger