Subject: [Leica] RE: Family of Man II
From: "Roger Beamon" <roger@beamon.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 17:43:26 -0700

On 12 Oct 2000, Dan Cardish wrote, at least in part:

> If we try and compete with the original "Family of Man', we will
> be doomed to failure.  Whatever we produce will not have the
> impact of the original, and I don't think we should even attempt
> it.  Rather, we should just submit the best that we can, and let
> the pieces fall where they may.

You never know, Dan. Obviously we'll submit the best that we
can and the pieces *will* fall where they may. That's what's
gonna happen, period! How do we compete or not compete?
Anything published with the proposed title will be examined
against the first. The competition exists regardless of how we do
it. And, that's the beauty of it. If it's "doomed to failure" so be it,
but it just *might* succeed.

The names listed by B.D. are to be respected and admired, but
realize that they are what's past. Alastair is proposing what's
now. There are some big guns here and some guns that may
reach 'bigness' as a result of this project.

Better to have competed and lost than not to have competed at
all.

- --
Roger, List-Owner
The LEG (Leica Enthusiasts Mailing List)
http://www.topica.com/lists/leica

Replies: Reply from "Roger Beamon" <roger@beamon.org> ([Leica] RE: Family of Man II)