Subject: [Leica] FOM 2
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@netconnect.com.au>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 19:32:45 +1100

Dear all,

Well I'm not far behind on listing all interested in FOM 2, and we are
working on the web site. Thanks for getting a .com name for us, and other
comments. At this stage, and to answer some questions;

1. The Name will remain The Family of Man 2 project: LUG

2. At this stage I want to restrict it to leicas. This is the Leica Users
Group, and it is envisaged as a "put your Leica where your mouth is" kind
of project, to get us off our bums and snapping. I also suspect that the
project would be "infiltrated" and overrun if it were not restricted in
this way, much as I love shooting with my Rollei's etc.

3. I want images that people have gone and and deliberately taken for this
project.

4. I accept that the FOM circa 1955 will have the edge on us in "talent",
but that was a retrospective study, and I'm looking for "fresh, innovative
new millenium" feel, and a look at our society and world. They went back
and looked at 2 X 1000000 images, and I'm not intending that many ;-)

5. They had 270 photographers, and I would like to see a similar number or
more participating in this project: that's only 30% of the LUG after all

6. I want widespread and wideranging images

7. I do not want to limit submissions (this is not really a "contest") for
reasons outlined by Ted

8. Not every one is guaranteed a "result". I want this to be the "best-of"
the LUG over a 5 year project. All who participate will be included in the
credits, but it is up to you to take image "worthy" of the exhibition

9. Voting will be by those who register for the project

10. I intend that images will be titled, but not attributed to an author
until the voting is done. I would think this is the fairest way to ensure
we end up choosing the best images, and from the wides sources.

Although I want to keep some reins on this "dream", I am open to critisism,
and will always happily negotiate the above points. All the details will be
up on a web site along with "entry" conditions hopefully in the next 2
weeks, so lets get snapping

Cheers

Alastair Firkin

Replies: Reply from Ted <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] FOM 2)