Subject: Re: [Leica] FOM 2
From: Ted <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 06:29:47 -0700

Alastair Firkin wrote:

> [...]
until the voting is done. I would think this is the fairest way to ensure we
end up choosing the best images, and from the wides sources.<<<<<<

Hi Alistair:

"10" is absolutely essential. No photo/slide will be identified by name before
or during selection.......

This is about the best photographs.... not a "Aw gee whiz we better let him get
in here."   Only the best images make the cut not the person presenting it!
I've been in too many arguments where judges wanted to know who made the
picture while making the final decision on it's in or out selection.  When
knowing who the shooter is, it's far to easy for the selection committee to
lean towards "who made the picture" than being gut wrenching honest and say,
"OUT!"

If I know who shot the image, I abstain from judging on the print, you can't do
otherwise or it's not fair to all photographers.

Like I say,  this isn't about who's known, it's about excellence of
photography!

ted.

Replies: Reply from "Jem Kime" <jem.kime@cwcom.net> (Re: [Leica] FOM 2)