Subject: Re: [Leica] FOM 2
From: Jesse Hellman <hellman@home.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 10:52:39 -0400

Alistair, a five-year project in a short-term age? It's a long time.
Here is a modest suggestion: use the website to post Lugger's
photographs, which could be submitted for comment and thoughtful
criticism. Each photographer could explain what he was trying to do and
how he did it, what he sees in the photos, and then receive back
comments, which hopefully would be constructive and go beyond
one-liners.

The subject is basically humanity. You could call the project Humanity
or Family, but leave out MoMA. The comparison is for me, at least, very
uncomfortable, as such a competitive name as FOM 2 leaves me embarrassed
rather than invigorated.

Interest Leica in sponsoring this in some form (they _do_ have some
products in which we are interested) and open the effort to the entire
Leica community, a la their own competitions.

Collect the photographs over two years at most. Unbiased and respected
judges could be found to make a final selection.

Perhaps Leica would publish a book if the results warranted it.

Jesse