Subject: Re: [Leica] 400 and 560/6.8 Grip
From: Ted <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 08:06:42 -0700

Tina Manley wrote:

> [...]
lenses
from KEH.  They look great and are exactly what I was looking for.  They
came with a shoulder stock but no grip.  Does the Leica grip have a part
number that I can use to search for one?  I also got the extension tube for
closer focusing.  I know these lenses are going to take lots of practice
but they are not nearly as heavy as I had anticipated.  Thanks for your
help!!<<<<<<<<<<<<

Hi Tina,
Good for you, as you wont be disappointed with them. If you got both lenses
complete you may find it's not necessary to carry both in completely assembled
form as you rarely use both at the same time. I kept the 400 assembled to use all
the time and only took  the "560 head."    Simply because it's so easy to change
lens heads and this cuts down on gear carrying.  Actually you can change the lens
head quicker than the whole lens.

When you look for the grip, see if you can get the micro switch and cord to
release the camera through the motor or winder.  This is a much better shutter
release than a long able release and manually re-cocking after each shot. As the
motor quickly advances the film for faster moving subjects. It also  allows for
steadier handling of the camera and lens while holding it to the eye much like a
weapon.

I've actually shot in this fashion at 1/15th, wide open and the images were tack
sharp. Yep lost a few, however the ones that worked are marvelous..

The cable release works sort of OK, I only tried it in the store but never
bought,  as I'm a motor user and found the micro switch the more efficient to
using the long lenses. The only thing is, the micro switch connector will not
likely have the correct connecting plug for the R8 motor.  I'm in the process of
having the Canadian Leica distributor, Lisle Kelco,  service dept. change the R7
motor plugs at the moment to R8. As I use this same system when hand holding the
280 2.8! ;-)  Or with extenders....400 f4, 560 f5.6 and big time 800 f8 (2
extenders at the same time on the 280!)  :-)

And if you find more than one micro switch and cable, get two! That's only
because, sometimes in the heat of a shoot you might pull the cable connection and
and it's a bummer when that happens,  as it only occurs in the middle of the
jungle! ;-)

Not sure if Doug shoots in this fashion or not with micro switch and motor,  but
for fast following running tigers and other critters I has to be the best, IMHO
from experience.

ted