Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Scanning/Printing
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 09:05:34 -0400

Jonathan-
    Around here, when someone says- "Whazzzup?!"
The response is,
    "Oh, having a Bud, watching the scanner plod!"
    "True, true!"
I have a 450MHz AMD and 256Meg of RAM and Old Mehatibel still polds along! I
am considering jamming another 256M in her and seeing if that helps!!
I have always had better performance improvement by simply adding more
memory, even when I double the processor speed, doubleing the memory from
128 to 256 made a significantly greater improvement!

I will give to a tip, however, if you are still using the 'virtual' momory-
and it makes iot run a bit faster. In windows 9X, and ME, the virtual memory
on the hard drive can become fragmented and get terribly slow!
If you will first defragment your drive, and get it optimized, then got into
CONTROL PANEL/SYSTEM and click the tab "Performance" and then the panel
marked "Virtual Memory".
Normally you will see the default- that is windows makes the decision about
the amount of disk space used for the virtual memory, and after a while, it
is using severely fragmented space. What you need to do is to tell it that
YOU are setting the virtual memory- if you have two hard drives, pick the
fastest, and set the size of the virtual memory- both minimum and maximum to
the same amount- that amount being about twice the amount of RAM the machine
has- since I hace 256M of RAM, I set the virtual memory to 512M. Since you
have 128M, then you might set yours to 256M or even 384M.
I can tell you that even if I slip and scan a 480Meg image file, I am not
there all afternoon waiting for it to do something!!
Hope it helps!
Dan