Subject: [Leica] modest proposal awards speech + mugshot + voigtlander 25mm comments
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 10:07:41 -0400

Hi there... got the nifty little selftimer thingummywotsit from John Collier
a couple of days ago (thanks!) which was my reward for spending most of a
morning trying to cram every workd that rhymed with Leica into a Clerihew.
John wanted a shot of my cheery/beery mug so here's the nearest I will allow
in netspace, taken with said self timer.

    http://www.zing.com/album/?id=4293485571&idx=2

This, and the other 2 shots in this album were taken with the 25mm f/4
Snapshot Skopar which is truly a fine little lens. In particular, as the
shot of the woman under the expressway shows, you can shoot right into the
sun and get not the slightest hint of flare... quite an achievement for such
a wide lens. However, I have two gripes which I think will ultimately lead
me to trade up to the 24 asph (when/if I sell my next screenplay).

First, the scale focusing just ain't accurate enough for me. The self-timed
shot was 1/4s @ f/4, and you can't see it in the jpg but the differential
focus between the leaf I'm holding and the actual plane of focus in the
leaves on the table is absolutely clear. The depth of field doesn't cover
the inaccuracy at distances of <2m.

Second, and maybe this is just me, the viewfinder isn't accurate. I'm
cutting off a lot of the top of the frame, even when I have taken great care
to include it. Any solutions to this much appreciated.

You can see an index to all the above pictures at:

    http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4293485571

- --
Johnny Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com