Subject: [Leica] Re: FOM 2 phase 2
From: Brougham <brougham3@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 04:59:40 -0700 (PDT)

"Ken Iisaka" <ken@iisaka.org> wrote:

> If you're using some tools to create the pages, you can give an
> English page to a translator, and translate just the text.  Put the
> translated file in the server, and voila, you have a multilingual
> site.

No!  Don't do it!!  :)

The auto translaters have a purpose.  If you stumble across some
material and you'd like a rough idea of what it says, they do a
bearable job.  If you're reading a page written in your native
language, don't you expect it to make sense?  Several years ago,
reading an English instruction booklet from the far east was an
exercise in humor.  If you're going to go to the trouble of having a
translation, Alastair's idea of using native speakers is the only way
to go if you care one whit about quality.  If we don't care about
quality, what are any of us doing on this list?  :)

P.S.  Alastair, include me in those interested in receiving updates on
the project, please.