Subject: [Leica] dry & wet darkroom :-(
From: Ted <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 06:11:04 -0700

Hi Guys & Gals,
After several hours of trying to "electronically" dodge and burn a neg
to make one decent print, I have to confess out of sheer frustration,
"read my inadequacies," in coping with the learning curve of
computer/printer compared to wet/my printing, that it's just driving me
up the
wall or around the curves, contrasts, brightness or wiggling lines!

Yes to date I've made some quite surprisingly good prints from the
scanner/computer/printer combination, some that I felt made the prints
look like they were shot with Leica glass.  But then there was this
afternoon!!!!!

The amount of time I fiddled, deleted, re-scanned, didn't save, started
all over, fiddle again, said naughty words,  several times!!!!!  Then
finally gave up out of incompetence & frustration I could have knocked
off a couple dozen wet prints. I realize one doesn't replace 50 years
wet DR experience in a few weeks on the dry side. Certainly attempting
to cope with these electronic monsters that talk back to you, put
strangely
worded phrases framed in little boxes on the screen that point
out............... you're an idiot!  And leave you whimpering like a new
bride who just burned her first cake!

However, buoyed by my successful earlier printing experiences I suppose
I was over stepping my ability with this new whiz bang technology and a
lousy negative. I finally came to the conclusion, it was my fault right
from the original film exposure (confession again) I made a lousy
exposure and hoped the new hardware would save my ass! ;-)

Guess what?  You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear no matter how
good the technology! So the bottom line and my good fortune to be
able to re-shoot, I will take my trusty R8 and re-do the situation in
less of a hurry "avec tripod" ;-) and come home with damn good negs!
And then we'll see what these new thingies can do. :-)  But I shall tame
this monster! ;-)

Frustrated and head aching, but determined to learn! ;-).... Damn, good
time for a comforting single malt! :-)
ted