Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: FOMing at the mouth
From: Ted <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 07:07:54 -0700

> > From: "Roger Beamon"
>
> > Forget competing with FOM. FOMII should turn out to be an
> > update and extension to FOM. If it succeeds, it will illustrate
> > what changes man and his environment has undergone in 50
> > years. And, if it is compared to FOM, all the better. When did
> > well intentioned and friendly competition become passe? C'mon,
> > man (the species), hitch up your trousers and skirts and accept
> > the assignment!<<<<<

Dave Fisher responded:

>>>Roger, you say that *if* it is compared to FOM, all the better. I say it will
inevitably be compared or contrasted to the original. Perhaps I am being a wet
blanket here, but as I noted to another LUGger privately, if I was to start
buying up old Japanese rangefinder cameras at flea markets and touched them up
and without permission started passing them off to the public as Leica M8s,
there would be subscribers here who would go ballistic. Can you honestly tell me
I'm wrong? Should I tell them to hitch up their skirts and accept it?

The concept is inspired
The execution may well be brilliant.
But the title, yeeecccchhh!<<<<<<<

Hi Dave,
Leave it be and get the hell out there and start shooting, as the title at the
moment is a "working title" as any author can attest that we go through several
titles before our books are published.

Hell my Dr. Osler book had a half dozen titles before we settled on, "This is
Our Work. The legacy of Sir William Osler."   The "This is Our Work" part came
from one of his quotations on the roll of the physician and nurses at the last
moment just before going to press!

So this going on about FOM title is merely a terrible waste of  human time that
could be well spent shooting. And or,  if one is not inclined to be part of this
project due to the title, just lying on their back watching clouds form
overhead!

ted