Subject: RE: [Leica] dry & wet darkroom :-(
From: "Lee, Jonathan" <Jonathan.Lee@hrcc.on.ca>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 09:37:53 -0400

Ted,

If you are using photoshop I would recommend you reading two books: the
Photoshop Bible and Photoshop Artisty.   The first book does a good job of
telling you how to use the Photoshop features and the second explains how to
apply that specifically as a photographer, it even has a section on the Zone
system and Photoshop.  Ignore all the stuff about Photshop glitzy effects in
both books, concentrate on the Toolbar, Rubber Stamp for retouching, Levels
for brightness and contrast adjustment,  Selections for choosing parts of
the image, and Layers and Masks for more complex editing and you can
probably be a Photoshop pro in a few evenings work.

Don't try to learn Photoshop alone, it's very frustrating indeed.

While admittedly I don't have the best scanner in the world (HP S20) my
results are pretty good.  I have found that Tri-X and TMAX 100 seems to scan
kind-of-grainy but maybe I need to alter my developing time to suit the
scanner. I've Kodachrome on the other hand scans subperbly on the S20.

Jonathan Lee