Subject: RE: [Leica] dry & wet darkroom :-)
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 11:00:00 -0400

At 10:28 AM 10/17/00 -0400, you wrote:
>I don't get this...Not the difficulty some folks are having with what is for
>them a new process - we all go through that - but the fact that folks aren't
>having fun with this.....I haven't mucked around in a darkroom - well,
>kitchen, for literally 27 years. But when I started  scanning and playing
>with Photoshop I felt like I was back in the darkroom without the chemicals,
>the mess, or the dark. The moves are the same, the setting is different.
>
>Ted, don't give up! I know you'll master this and be churning out prints
>that put us all to shame.
>
>B. D.

I agree, B.D.  You can make so many changes on the computer and if you
don't like any of them, just step backwards on the history palette.  At
last count I have 15 books on Photoshop 5.5.  I'm sure I'll soon have
several on 6.0.  I haven't read any of them from cover to cover, but I
consult them constantly.  There are also several good tutorials on web
sites.  Here is a good one for converting color to
b&w:  http://www.ian.lyons.btinternet.co.uk/tutorials/tutorial_2.htm

Here is a good site for all things
digital:  http://www.digitaldog.net/tips.html

Photoshop is not as intuitive as darkroom work.  Don't try to learn it
without help.  I have saved myself hours of work by learning about actions
and by memorizing shortcut keys.  That's not something that you can figure
out on your own.

The prints that I'm getting from my Epson 3000 printer and Piezography
software and inks are better than my darkroom prints that it took me years
to learn to do.  I'll probably still be learning Photoshop when they pry my
Leicas out of my cold dead hands, but it's fun!   There are so many more
options - and no messy, smelly, dangerous chemicals.  I spent the morning
cleaning out my darkroom and making it more effective for film developing
only.

Leically,

Tina