Subject: [Leica] Re: FOMIng at the mouth
From: "Dave Fisher" <tekapo@golden.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 09:42:29 -0400

> From: Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com>
> Subject: [Leica] Re: FOMIng at the mouth

> I'm amazed at how many folks don't know what a "working title" is...
>
> Among other things, working titles depict very closely what the project
> actually is so that there is no mistake in its focus.
>
> As the project matures, its real direction and focus will be apparent and
> if a title change is necessary, there will be ample knowledge to effect
> that change.

Jim, I amaze many folks so you needn't feel put out. Seriously, I'm not a
very bright guy, as several LUGgers have written here and privately to
remind me. My faux pas, it appears, is proffering a dissenting opinion. I
hope you'll accept my apology for having offended. I'll eventually learn the
ropes here and will in future restrain myself. Having said that, and if
you'll please excuse my ignorance, I was operating under the illusion that
this was a 5 year project, with 100 images going up every year. I didn't
know the "working title" mightn't blanket some of those years. You made no
comments about my other reservation, which might have been lost on you, that
the project is exclusively oriented toward Leica. Am I mistaken here too? It
seems strange to me that a project with an objective that sounds vaguely
inclusive (that's what I deduce when I think of humanity and "the family of
man") is restricted to an exclusive enclave of Leica equipment. When I put
on an exhibit (I've curated a few as well as hung my own shows), yes I like
consistency, but whether the work was taken with a Leica or a Nikon or a
Diana camera is inconsequential to me. Frankly I don't care, and that may be
another faux pas. To me it's all about the actual content. My apologies if
this belief upsets some people, as I reckon photographs to be almost as
valuable and critical as the boxes that take them. Regards the "working
title," as I have said previously I think the project is a great idea.
Perhaps too much ideology in my youth foolishly convinced me that words,
titles and symbols have deeper meanings and connections (blame McLuhan and
Chomsky). Possibly too much time spent in galleries viewing great
photographs that might have been taken with Contax and Pentax has equally
led me astray. When LUGgers tell me to shut up and start shooting because
"the photo's the thing" and "it's about humanity, dammit," I remain confused
as to why the photograph has to be taken with a Leica. Perhaps someone can
clarify it to me. And apologies again for ignorantly raising any points
which may differ from the majority on the list. I'll know better next time.

Respectfully,
An "amazing" and very confused Leica-user,
Dave
PS Maybe I'll start a thread here about the glory of Leica keychains and
make friends instead of enemies:)

Replies: Reply from Ted <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: FOMIng at the mouth)