Subject: Re: [Leica] wedding candids
From: "Joe Codispoti" <joecodi@thegrid.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 13:32:43 -0700

In the sixties I photographed weddings to finance my photo education at
Brooks Institute.

In order to avoid pitfalls, and to establish a personal style, I looked at
the portfolios of several local photographers. What I saw was more or less a
record of who attended the wedding, what they ate, and how long they stayed.
I tried to sway prospective brides towards a more casual, intimate, and
personal approach to recording the event. I learned quickly that the bride
to be wants what her girlfriend had when she was married: posed, perfectly
aligned and centered, stiff people grinning at the camera.

Most objectionable to me are the many smaltzy, contrived, and phony photos
such as that of the groom being "dragged" to the altar by his buddies. Or
that of the father of the bride showing empty pockets and sporting a forced
look of distress. The worst I recall was that of an enormous bride seated at
the edge of the matrimonial bed with the groom kneeling on the bed behind
her unbuttoning her dress; no doubt the photo was meant to portray a prelude
of things to come.

A leading local photographer goes as far as photographing the bride while
she dresses. The sequence starts with undies. But I have to admit that the
photos are tasteful and technically excellent (no doubt he selects those
brides that do justice to Victoria Secret).
Most of his wedding photos have the look of studio lighting. In fact he
practically creates a temporary studio setting at the church complete with
studio strobes, assistants, and music.

So, you see Simon, give them what they want and charge them accordingly.

Joe Codispoti

From: "Simon Stevens" <simon@camera-craftsman.com>

Replies: Reply from Bill Satterfield <cwsat@cyberhighway.net> (Re: [Leica] wedding candids)
Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] wedding candids)