Subject: Re: TTL shutter speed dial (was RE: [Leica] LHSA meeting)
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 11:56:14 EDT

 My M6's are, at the moment, evenly divided between 'classic" and TTL's. The
shutter-speed dial on the TTL is still giving me trouble and I did ask Leica
if it is possible to retrofit the old dial (with the 'old" rotation) and they
did concede that it could be done, but it is a rather involved process. The
spur-gear can be removed and the contacts for the dial would have to be
exchanged. Probably not worth the cost and it makes an even stronger case for
M2's. At LHSA I did add another one to my pile of these classics, Sal DiMarco
had a 'preowned" M2 that I bought. At least I dot have to worry about putting
scratches or dents on it. It has plenty already!
 As for the battery-consumption of the TTL's! They are hungry for SR-76's and
if you dont turn the dial to the off-position they will drain. The first
prototype of the battery-cover with an integrated on/off switch is in the
works at the moment. Rough but working and now we have to figure out how to
streamline it and make it in a manner that makes it affordable.
 The TTL shutter-speed dial is no problem if your first Leica is a new TTL,
but trying to rethink 40+ years of Leica use is not that easy! There are
times that I think Leica's approach should be to make cameras tailored to the
users needs. Just like in the auto-industry, you can 'option" the camera. I
could see myself getting a 0,58, black paint with 35 and 75 frames only,
shutterspeeds rotating the 'old" way and as a 2nd body a 50/90 framed 1:1
viewfinder (Yashihara could do it, why not Leica), again black paint and old
style dial. Leica would just issue a list of options, you tick off what you
want and they would supply it in 3-4 month time. With modern assembly and CNC
machining it should be possible and they could really clean up on the
"options" packages too (just like the auto-industry).
Still rotating the wrong way!
Tom A