Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V18 #113
From: "asparaco" <asparaco@metafour.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 07:10:01 -0500

> From: Austin Burbridge <Austin.Burbridge@Alumni.Brown.edu>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] Elmar-M 50mm f/2.8
>
> Terry, No, no! The optical quality of the Elmar-M is *superb*; the
> build quality is *superb*. It is a first-class instrument. I can't
> think of any objection.
>
> I don't like mine because it is f/2.8 -- too slow for me. I hardly
> ever use it, because most of my shooting is indoors or at night.
>

> >?I am very interested in this lens because of its design and price.
However,
> >many people convince me not going to buy this lens because its optical
and
> >build quality are bad.
> >
> >Anyone of you has the experience of this lens? Does the quality of this
lens
> >have a big different from the Summicron-M 50mm f/2? Please comment.
> >
> >Thanks
> >
> >Terry Sham
>
> ------------------------------
I just purchased the 2.8 Elmar-M from my local LHSA president and I love it.
After reading all the posts about finding a P+S camera, I now have the best
P+S camera made-an M6 with the 50mm f2.8 Elmar. It fits into a little pouch
that fits inside my brief case. I have carried a camera case for years on my
constant business flying  hauling it around and sometimes never opening it.
The M6/Elmar-M is always with me with no pain, if it doesn't get out of the
pouch that's OK. Much more reasonable then carrying over 15k in LeicaM and
never opening the case for lack of time. I use the Elmar with the metal
vented reversible lens hood for a 50mm f2 Summicron which won't fit on my
current f2 Summicron because of the damned plastic hood.  With fast film the
2.8 has not been a problem  and wide open it is very sharp indeed. It is a
very smooth focusing lens. Thanks Bill R worked out perfectly. An even more
ideal combo would be the Elmar-M on a M-6 with M-3 viewfinder.

regards
asparaco/chicago