Subject: Re: [Leica] Black paint classic and James Nachtwey
From: Ted <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 10:04:05 -0700

Dan Cardish wrote:

> photojournalists surrounding a starving (and perhaps dying) child, all
> furiously clicking away.
>
> Do they sell tickets for the choice seating ahead of time to these
> photographers?  Or is it first come first served?<<<<<<<<

Hi Dan,

it's first come first served! Some times with the "rat pack" they flow together
looking for interesting things. sometimes the lesser ones tag along at a discreet
distance from a big name shooter,  figuring what he or she finds will be the
perfect shot. Sometimes they flock around like vultures.

But generally the ones who are very good at this kind of stuff  try to float by
themselves, partially for the exclusivity of the situation, and hopefully not to
create a "media type event" gang click as we see in this picture.

We all know that when TV cameras or stills cameras are pointed in the direction
of a demonstration.... wherever that maybe....... the demonstrators receive an
unwritten signal.... "now is the time to turn on the after burners and make it
look like Armageddon!"  Like, make it look good for the cause, whatever that
cause maybe.

It's very simple , they use the media to get their message across and the media
are always so stupid they shoot this crap!  I believe it was Tina in a post who
said something like, "Imagine a war started and no one came!"

Imagine the Middle East at the moment.... all the media leave.... completely and
no one is covering this nonsense, how long do you think it would go on? Hell they
wouldn't be able to use the international media any longer as pawns of the cause,
so everyone would just go home and live peacefully.

(Sorry I realize that's a bit pie in the sky)  However,  it would be interesting
to see what would happen. Right?

You shouldn't blame the photographers for any of this gang shoot stuff, ( you may
not agree with it ) But in reality they are there to cover whatever the hell is
going down and if that means bodies, starving kids, wailing women and rock
throwing kids, they are still only doing their job and bearers of the message.
Right or wrong!

And any of you who've never been in this kind of situation,  please don't
hypothesize as to what you would or wouldn't do, simply because it's a whole new
ball game before your camera  And quite often, you're as much concerned that
you're not going to get your brains blown out as you are at getting your
pictures!

I suppose you noticed that some of these photogs are wearing helmets and flak
jackets!  This isn't a quiet shoot in the forest doing rocks, ferns and non
breathing things.  Well maybe it is "non breathing" things at times.

ted

Replies: Reply from Jesse Hellman <hellman@home.com> (Re: [Leica] Black paint classic and James Nachtwey)
Message from Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net> ([Leica] Black paint classic)
Message from Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net> (Re: [Leica] Black paint classic and James Nachtwey)