Subject: Re: [Leica] On death and dying in front of the camera
From: Ted <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 16:03:44 -0700

Arthur,
This is a tough call, as sometimes it's just covering another incident of
everyday life, means nothing more than get the best photograph you can, providing
you or the other photogs are not interfering with the medics. Or worse standing
right over top of them like a flock of vultures.  Some photographers have no
respect for the subject and can be nothing more than a bloody nuisance,  pulling
all other photographers down on the rung of the Neanderthal ladder.

Then there are other situations where I've walked away because I just couldn't
take the pictures! It's very simple.... treat others as you'd like to be treated
if you were the one lying there! I sometimes have missed pictures and had
arguments with editors over doing just that, walking away. Once to the extent,
the city editor and I basically came to blows in the news room!  By the way,  he
lost (physically) and I quit!  I've never had much time for rectal orifices and
this editor was the greatest ring piece on earth!!

I suppose it comes down to the heat of the moment, is it news worthy or just
another incident that will never make it to page 88 last column bottom of page. I
mean a guy having a heart attack at a baseball rally hardly rates news pictures
in my opinion and I'd have not shot it. But if it were the Mayor or some high
profile individual the situation becomes a completely new ball game!

Like I say, it's a tough call as each situation demands a different answer.

ted