Subject: Re: [Leica] Re:If a rock flies in the forrest.....
From: "M.E.Berube" <MEB@goodphotos.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 11:12:03 -0400

At 03:03 PM 10/22/00 -0700, Bill Lawlor wrote:
>Those kids with rocks against soldiers may be the best weapons the
>Palestinians have. Take away the press and what limits the power of the state?

(A well armed populace...Gods save the US Constitution.)

The problem with our so called Free Press is that it is too often now doing
the bidding of the Government as long as it fills ad space. Our Free Press
is actual a Corporate Press and is therefore just another lobbying voice
seeking Government favour.

Most citizens aren't still idealistic enough to believe that 'journalism'
today seeks anything of a higher goal than profits. If the message does
some 'good' in exposing to the unwashed masses corruption, great...that
sells well. The crowd with cameras around the stone throwers, however, are
there to sell their images, NOT to bring an end to any conflict. The vast
majority of "photojournalism" today is no more or less noble than shooting
ad stills in a studio. (It's just a far more dangerous 'thrill.')

Carpe Luminem,
Michael E. Berube
(happy photographer or trees, sunsets and weddings)
http://www.goodphotos.com