Subject: Re: [Leica] Re:If a rock flies in the forest.....
From: Cmrausr@aol.com
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 22:26:57 EDT

<<     Enjoy your trees, sunsets, and weddings but don't knock the work we do.

Happy Snaps, >>

Sal et al,

I was letting my fury die down before I replied to the LUGers who have never
been in a situation where you might get shot while trying to cover a news
story for them to look at from their armchairs, and you beat me to the draw.
When I looked at the photo of the photographers in a group shooting the
Palestinian rock throwers, I saw the helmets and flack jackets.

As with soldiers who put themselves in harms way for their country, there are
photographers and reporters who do the same to present their interpretation
of conflict to the world. Just because they are side by side at a site of an
incident doesn't mean that they aren't doing worthwhile work. It often means
that they are looking out after one another even though they are competitors,
since at any moment either side could turn on them. There is safety in
numbers when working in an unstable environment. And there are plenty of dead
photojournalists as testament.

Filo, Ut, Adams, all formerly of the AP, and dozens of others who work for
the wire services, and other independent news organizations put their well
being, if not their lives on the line to bring important news photos to the
world. Pack photojournalism happens, it's part of the process of the news
business. It doesn't mean that every shooter at the scene isn't doing his
individual best to present the event in a unique way. Sometimes it means
you're a thousandth of a second better than everyone else.

There are plenty of wire and newsmag photographers that I used to work with
during my years at UPI and AP that I would gladly hunker down with in a
dangerous situation. But I'd also try my best to kick their ass with a
stronger image for the day. The joy of it was the competition mixed with
camaraderie that people who haven't lived it can't understand.

cheers
Scott Stewart