Subject: RE: [Leica] Lens signatures, old and new
From: Christer Almqvist <christer@almqvist.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 11:58:54 +0200

>     In book publishing, granted, the orginal prints must be excellent. But,
>anyone who knows anything about commerical printing (ink & paper, not
>photographic), knows a good printing house can make or break you.

True. Jeanloup Sieff recently passed away and a book by him appeared
shortly before. There was thus plenty of reasons for French magazines
to publish articles on him and picture by him. I guess they had all
gotten exactly the same prints from the publisher or from his agent,
as more or less the same pictures appeared everywhere. I was
surprised how different a specific picture would look when printed in
different magazines. Usually the were not cropped, but some were,
often just a little to make a full page print fit a page. Incredible
what difference just half an inch off the top of a full page photo in
a makes
- --
Christer Almqvist
D-20255 Hamburg, Germany and/or