Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Fiber Papers
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 17:22:05 -0400

Mark, et al-
There is a fundamental difference with the way RC paper respond that is very
different from Fiber based paper. The emulsion on the RC sits atop a layer
of polyethylene resin, and this 'barrier that keeps wet time down, and
processing times short also have an effect on the 'tone' of the paper. The
so called 'Fiber Based' papers have the silver halide emulion coated
directly onto the paper, and the paper itself absorbs some of the
silverhalide, and in effect gives a 'thicker' or added dimension of material
that is light sensitive.
The older fiber based papers were 'soft' and had so much 'depth' because the
paper directly under the emulsion was light sensitive, and as the light
scattered through the emulsion, it to was exposed, and with sufficient
development, this silver halide could be developed.
With RC paper, the sensitive layer sits atop a wet proof layer, developes
out very quickly, and will usually be much sharper and with a higher
contrast than the fiber based paper.
If you have a densitometer (reflection type) expose a piece of RC paper, and
a piece of fiber based- the same type- say Ilford MG to room light do get
maximum exposure, develope them for three minutes to get maximum density,
and if your densitometer is like mine, there will be a difference- the fiber
based will have a greater Dmax than the RC paper. Longevity notwithstanding,
you get a possibility of a 'better' print from your fiber based paper, and
that is why I think it is enjoying a resurgence of popularity. It actually
'looks' better to the eye.
Dan (subjective opinion not necessarily as those of management....) Post

 > > Is it still necessary to use fiber papers to get the best possible
results? Or are some of the other papers up to scratch?  (Just
> > wondering if there's a way around using trays, as I don't like to expose
myself to chemicals; my lab has a decent machine.)

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Fiber Papers)
Message from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Fiber Papers)