Subject: [Leica] Hexar RF v. 0.58 and musings
From: Ernest Nitka <enitka@twcny.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 19:34:38 -0400

I just got my Hexar RF today and wanted to report preliminary findings and pass
along some other musings.

I was all set to order the .58 when someone on the list ( sorry I don't remember
who to thank) made the commentary about the Hexar RF having just about the same
degree of magnification, with AE and motor for about 2/3 the cost.  It just made
sense to me - I have regretted getting rid of my CLE but was very worried about
it's ability to be repaired ( perhaps this will happen 15 yrs. from now with the
Hexar?) - the Hexar is what i would imagine the CLE of the new millenium would be
( too bad no TTL flash but on the bright side the hexar's meter still works in
manual which was CLE's major flaw).

Anyway was going thru my closet of M lenses to see which ones worked- by this I
mean which ones not only mounted but brought up the correct frame lines.  I'm
happy to report ALL worked with the exception of my Tri-Elmar ( original version)
- - when the lens is set to 50 mm and mounted no problem but once you go to 28 then
to 35 and then back to 50 the 50 mm lines do not follow.  I was happy that the
50/1 mounted and brought up the correct framelines.  I think AE is perfectly
suited for the Noctilux for those of use that must cruise all day ( night more
like it ) at f/1 and don't want to fuss with adjusting the shutter.

Now for the musings and questions;

Calumet flyer on their photo books advertised a beginning book on photography
touting the "Stop Method" of exposure - while too old to learn any new techniques
does anyone on the list know what this is referring to?  Just curious

Just returned from my sojourn to Seattle.  I asked for and received hand
inspection of my film without a problem.  Had +/- weather but this didn't stop
me.  Went to Glazer's and was suitably impressed with the store and the people.
They were very friendly.  I did not get to meet Russ Sherrill ( sp?) their Leica
person.  They had some used lenses which were the cleanest I have seen in a very
long time.  They went out their way to be helpful.  I have purchased from them
before and would not hesitate to do so in the future.  Went to the Experience
Music Project - paul Allen's music museum. I was impressed but we got off to a
rocky start as they rushed at my sister and myself- M'am we need to inspect your
purse - by this they didn't want to look inside but simply to measure it's
dimensions: it was 16.5" which meant it was too large to take into the EMP so my
sister had to leave it at the door.  Next they were emphatic that no photos were
allowed.  Well we were not paying $20 admission to be treated like thiefs.  The
beauty of the voitghlander 15/4.5 is that it's really a point and shoot - in my
case just sort of nonchanlantly airm it anywhere near the target and with all the
Jimi hendrix music going to just rip off a couple of exposures.  Yes i did it and
i'm not ashamed ( don't worry you won't find this as a question in the NY Times
Magazine Ethics column! :)

ernie nitka

Message from Vick Ko <vick.ko@sympatico.ca> (Re: [Leica] Hold it right there, or the Editor gets it)