Subject: RE: [Leica] Rolleiflexes
From: "Jim Shulman" <garcia@chesco.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 08:23:05 -0400

I doubt that prices for these cameras will inflate dramatically, for several
reasons:

1) Digital imaging will decrease demand for silver-halide based cameras.  As
digital cameras become more precise, and as resolution improved, the need
for conventional silver halide 6x6 cameras will diminish.  In addition, as
fewer people use 120/220 cameras, demand for film will drop, making it more
diffficult to obtain and process.  People do consider the "pain in the neck"
factor when selecting a camera!
2) Rolleis are limited to ONE focal length.  For a little more money, you
can buy a 645 camera with interchangeable lenses.  If our beloved Leicas
were limited to only one non-interchangeable lens, I doubt there'd be much
interest in them.
3) Rollei-type focusing isn't for everyone.  Most photographers seem to
prefer looking straight ahead, whether through an SLR's prism or through a
rangefinder window.

I still treasure my Rolleis (I have two 3.5s, a Xenotar and a Tessar) but I
doubt that they'll appreciate significantly.

To use an example: twenty five years ago I wanted a Bolex H8 Reflex movie
camera.  It was the ne plus ultra (and really, still is) of movie machines:
reflex viewing, incredible Switar prime fixed focus lenses, Kern Swiss zooms
available, variable speed, variable shutter, motor options, 100' loads
(equal to eight minutes at silent speed).  In those days, you couldn't find
one of these with the three lenses for less than around $500.  Remember, too
that this was a STANDARD 8 camera, not a Super 8, and had been OBSOLETE
since 1965.  Nevertheless, they sold for premium prices.

Today, you can have your pick of gorgeous H8 Reflex outfits for less than
$400, and more likely $300.  Video has killed most interest in 8mm, since
video provides sound AND motion for a fraction of film costs.  Yes, you can
still get standard 8 film (it's a specialty item, since Kodak discontinued
it for lack of significant consumer interest!), but it's a pain to locate
and another pain to process.  Doesn't this sound a little like my
description of the Rolleis?

Jim Shulman